Welcome to the world of audio and all the mystery that comes with it. I have written this blog ‘ Audiophiles make the sound better ‘ because it is something you can do very easily and without the big expense!
You have spent your money on a system and set everything up as you think. I know for a fact in most cases you will not be getting the best sound out of your system. Because Audiophiles have a tendency to think their way is the only way!
Let me start by telling you there is a way to actually set up your system. And if you visit the system set-up page you will be off to a great start. It does not matter the cost of your system because the “System set-up” is a basic procedure that works for any system!
I want to tell you about ‘Add-ons’ which are aftermarket items and can be purchased separately. And are from companies who specialise in sound and sound system improvements. Items can be used separately or altogether because they work. And you will hear the changes the Add-ons make.
Some changes will be noticeable as it depends on what equipment you have and on what surface the equipment is standing. Wood, Plastic, Marble, Concrete, are just a few of the surface that Audiophiles have to contend with. Because when setting up their equipment there is always the wife!
Your Source Audiophiles make the sound better
This can be Media player / computer / CD / LP
- Your Media player – to get a better sound fit three SoundCare spikes underneath.
- Computer or Laptop – to get a better sound again fit three spikes underneath and place your laptop on a table.
- Your CD – to get a better sound, have your CD cut with a CD lathe as this really does work and the difference is very noticeable. I have a lathe and always cut my CD’s but I also have a couple of the same CD uncut just to show my friends the difference between “cut” and “uncut”
- Spray your CD (label side only) very lightly with Antistatic fluid and allow drying naturally.
- When you buy a CD always look for a Gold pressed version.
- For you to get a better sound always buy the Heaviest version of the LP that you can find.
- Your turntable – Always use a Spirit level to ensure it is level and best for you to put the level on the LP to be played and thus is prior to the turntable set-up.
- Your LP – Make sure that you find the best Cutting angle, which suits your stylus because the EU and US have different angles – The same as with your stylus.
- Spray the surface very lightly with Anti-static fluid from a distance and let it dry naturally.
- Always follow the recommendations when setting up your stylus and tracking
- Remove the stock power cord that came with it and replace with a good quality Power cord.
- Place Three spikes under your unit, as they will give you a marked improvement in the performance of your turntable.
Remove the stock power cord that came with the amplifier and replaces it with a good quality Power cord.
- Spray the amplifier lightly with Anti-static fluid and allow to dry, naturally.
- Place your amplifier on Three spikes. There are different grades but the basic spike is good enough for you to hear the difference and you can always upgrade.
Tube/solid-state CD player
- Remove the stock power cord that came with the CD player and replaces it with a good quality Power cord.
- Put your CD player on Three spikes. There are different grades but the basic is good enough for you to hear the improvements in sound.
- Lightly spray your CD player with Anti-static fluid and allow drying naturally.
- Place a spirit level on top of your CD player and adjust for level in both directions.
- Use a spirit level to make sure your loudspeakers are level. Check-in every direction there is a minimum of 6” from any wall service. The Loudspeaker cable should be a minimum of three meters in length and kept off the floor with small wooden blocks.
- Place your Loudspeaker on Three spikes. PLEASE NOTE: It is very important the spikes have to be reversed (Small end up and the large end to the floor.)
- Every month remove the loudspeaker cable and wipe the end connections with a soft cloth. After refitting, spray lightly with Anti-static fluid (cables only and not the contact points). Remember to replace the cables in the same direction as they were removed. For more information on static please click here
- Order a copy of a test CD called “Irrational But Efficacious” and play it through your system on three monthly bases.
- Anti-static is building up constantly. Use an Anti-static gun. Point the gun at each item and gently squeeze the trigger. Do this every month (including speakers)
- Send all your cables to a Company that performs Cryogenic cable treatment. This is one of the best upgrades that you can get because the results speak for themselves.
- If you hate the crackle from your turntable you can run it wet as I used to in the good old days and very easy to do. Set up a drip (the same as in the hospital) and fit a very small bore tube so the drip leaves a film or water on the LP.
here is an interesting item called a Sort Kone and this can be placed under any item such as Amplifier, CD player or DAC. This gives more clarity, detail and also a blacker background. You have the choice of using “Sort Kone” or “Spikes” and it is personal preference. But for me I prefer spikes!
Cable Warm-up – You must allow at least one hour for any cable to warm up in your system. It does not matter if is the power cord, speaker cables or interconnects cables. Please be patient and allow time for them to warm up.
Listening to your system – Some people have ears which lie flat against their heads and do not even realise just what they are missing. Especially in the upper frequencies. Put your hands behind your ears and pull them forward just a little and you will hear more detail. Sound crazy but true!
Better performance Audiophiles make the sound better
If you want better performance please visit the Cables section. This could be an affordable solution for you!
I hope you have enjoyed the ‘ Audiophiles make sound better ‘ blog. The suggestions have come from my own personal experience whilst working with sound and audio systems. Also, I wish to point out that I have no connections with any of the companies who offer ‘add-ons’.
If you enjoyed ‘Audiophiles make the sound better’, please share with friends – thank you.
Perkune – Best Audiophile Cables Online