Welcome to the world of audio and all the mystery that comes with it. I have written this blog ‘ Audiophiles make the sound better ‘ because it is something you can do very quickly and without the significant expense!
You have spent your money on a system and set everything up as you think. I know for a fact in most cases, you will not be getting the best sound out of your order. Because Audiophiles tend to believe their way is the only way!
Let me start by telling you there is a way actually to set up your system. And if you visit the system set-up page, you will be off to a great start. It does not matter the cost of your order because the “System set-up” is a necessary procedure that works for any system!
I want to tell you about ‘Add-ons’, which are aftermarket items and can be purchased separately. And are from companies who specialise in sound and sound system improvements. Details used individually or altogether because they work. And you will hear the changes the Add-ons make.
Some changes will be noticeable as it depends on what equipment you have and on what surface the material is standing. Wood, Plastic, Marble, Concrete, are just a few of the characters that Audiophiles have to contend. Because when setting up their equipment, there is always the wife!
Your Source Audiophiles make the sound better
This can be Media player / computer / CD / LP
- Your Media player – fit three SoundCare spikes underneath.
- Computer or Laptop – to get a better sound again fit three spikes underneath and place your laptop on a table.
- Your CD – to get a better sound, have your CD cut with a CD lathe as this does work, and the difference is very noticeable. I have a cutter and always cut my CD’s, but I also have a couple of the same CD uncut just to show my friends the difference between “cut” and “uncut.”
- Spray your CD (label side only) very lightly with Antistatic fluid and allow drying naturally.
- When you buy a CD, always look for a Gold pressed version.
- For you to get a better sound, always buy the Heaviest version of the LP that you can find.
- Your turntable – Always use a Spirit level to ensure it is level and best for you to put the scale on the LP to be played and thus is before the turntable set-up.
- Your LP – Make sure that you find the best Cutting angle, which suits your stylus because the EU and US have different aspects – The same as with your knife.
- Spray the surface very lightly with Anti-static fluid from a distance and let it dry naturally.
- Always follow the recommendations when setting up your stylus and tracking.
- Remove the stock power cord that came with it and replace with a suitable quality Power cord.
- Place Three spikes under your unit, as they will give you a marked improvement in the performance of your turntable.
Remove the stock power cord that came with the amplifier and replaces it with a suitable quality Power cord.
- Spray the amplifier lightly with Anti-static fluid and allow to dry, naturally.
- Place your amplifier on Three spikes. There are different grades, but the essential peak is good enough for you to hear the difference, and you can always upgrade.
Tube/solid-state CD player
- Remove the stock power cord that came with the CD player and replaces it with a suitable quality Power cord.
- Put your CD player on Three spikes. There are different grades, but the basic is good enough for you to hear the improvements in sound.
- Lightly spray your CD player with Anti-static fluid and allow drying naturally.
- Place a spirit level on top of your CD player and adjust for level in both directions.
- Use a spirit level to make sure your loudspeakers are level. Check-in every direction there is a minimum of 6” from any wall service. The Loudspeaker cable should be a minimum of three meters in length and kept off the floor with small wooden blocks.
- Place your Loudspeaker on Three spikes. PLEASE NOTE: Important the peaks have reverse (Small end up and the large end to the floor.)
- Every month remove the loudspeaker cable and wipe the end connections with a soft cloth. After refitting, spray lightly with Anti-static fluid (lines only and not the contact points). Remember to replace the wires in the same direction as removed.
- Order a copy of a test CD called “Irrational But Efficacious” and play it through your system on three monthly bases.
- Anti-static is building up steadily. Use an Anti-static gun. Point the gun at each item and gently squeeze the trigger. Do this every month (including speakers)
- Send all your cables to a Company that performs Cryogenic cable treatment. And, is one of the best upgrades that you can get because the results speak for themselves.
- If you hate the crackle from your turntable, you can run it wet as I used to in the good old days and very easy to do. Set up a drip (the same as in the hospital) and fit a tiny bore tube, so the drop leaves a film or water on the LP.
here is a new item called a Sort Kone and placed under any object such as Amplifier, CD player or DAC. And, gives more clarity, detail and also a blacker background. You have the choice of using “Sort Kone” or “Spikes”, and it is a personal preference. But for me, I prefer spikes!
Cable Warm-up – You must allow at least one hour for any cable to warm up in your system. It does not matter if it is the power cord, speaker cables or interconnects cables. Please be patient and allow time for them to warm up.
Listening to your system – Some people have ears which lie flat against their heads and do not even realise just what they are missing, especially in the upper frequencies. Put your hands behind your ears and pull them forward just a little and you will hear more detail. Sound crazy but true!
Better performance Audiophiles make the sound better.
If you want better performance, please visit the Cables section. And, could be an affordable solution for you!
I hope you have enjoyed the ‘ Audiophiles make sound better ‘ blog. The suggestions have come from my own experience while working with sound and audio systems. Also, I wish to point out that I have no connections with any of the companies who offer ‘add-ons’.
If you enjoyed ‘Audiophiles make the sound better’, please share with friends – thank you.
Perkune – Best Audiophile Cables Online