Sound improvements for your system. Your system could be upgraded very quickly by using ‘Add-ons’. These are aftermarket items and used individually or together. Because these item work, you will hear changes and certainly the sound improvement!
I have spent years working with sound and everything I say works. But as with everything, you must try for yourself. I have found from experience the following items and am happy to share my experiences with you.
Media player – Sound improvement for the system
- For better sound fit three spikes underneath the player.
Your computer or Laptop –
- fit three spikes underneath your laptop.
Your CD –
- Have your CD cut with a CD lathe. This really does work and the difference heard.
- Spray your CD (label side only) with Antistatic fluid and let it dry naturally.
- When you buy a CD always look for a Gold pressed CD version.
Your LP –
- always buy the heaviest version you can.
- Make sure you find the cutting angle that suits your stylus. The EU and US have different angles – The same as with your stylus.
Your Turntable – Sound improvements for your system
- Always use a spirit level to ensure it is level before you do your set up. And best to place the spirit level on the LP.
- Remove the stock power cord that comes with the turntable and change with a good quality Power cord.
- Place Three spikes under your turntable, And, you get a marked improvement in the performance heard.
The Amplifier – Sound improvement for audio
- Remove the stock power cord that comes with the amplifier and change with a good quality Power cord. A simple step but will give you a sound improvement.
- Place your amplifier on Three spikes. There are different grades but the basic is good enough for you to hear the sound improvement and you can always upgrade.
The CD player –
- Remove the stock power cord that comes with the CD player and change with a good quality Power cord.
- Put your CD player on Three spikes. There are different grade but the basic is good enough for you to hear the sound improvement.
- Lightly Spray your CD player and all your cables with Antistatic fluid every month.
Every Interconnect and every loudspeaker cable has a right and wrong way. Each cable should have a direction of flow which is from source to amplifier and from amplifier to loudspeaker. If you remove any of the cables then mark them up so they go back the same way.
- Place your Loudspeaker on spikes. Very important the spikes have to be reversed (small end up and the large end to the floor)
- Use a spirit level to make sure your loudspeaker is level in every direction and there is a minimum of 6” from any wall service. The Loudspeaker cable should be a minimum of three meters in length and should be kept off the floor with small wooden blocks.
- Every month remove the loudspeaker cable and wipe the end connections with a soft cloth. After refitting, spray lightly with Anti-static fluid (cables only and not the contact points).
- Obtain a copy of the ‘Ayre’ test CD called ‘Irrational but Efficacious’ and play it through your system on a monthly basis.
Nordost introduced an item called ‘Sort Lift’. This enhances the sonic performance of loudspeaker cables, power cords, and interconnects. By minimizing the points of contact cables make with the ground and reducing boundary effects.
There is also another interesting item from Nordost called a ‘Sort Kone’ which can be placed under any item. The Amplifier, CD player or DAC and gives more clarity, detail and also blacker background. This is meant for sound improvement and I have tried but heard no differences.
- A really great tool is the Anti-static gun. And, all you do, is point and squeeze at every component. Do this every month (including speakers).
- To improve your system sound, send all your cables for Cryogenic cable treatment. This is one of the best upgrades that you can get because the results speak for themselves
- If you hate the crackle from your turntable you can run it wet as I used to in the good old days and very easy to do. Set up a drip (just the same as in the hospital) and fit a very small bore tube so the drip leaves a film or water on the LP and then play it.
You must allow at least one hour for any cable to warm up in your system. It does not matter if power cord, speaker cable or interconnect cable. Please be patient and allow time for the cables to warm up.
Listening Sound improvements for your system
Some people have ears that lie flat against their heads. And do not even realize just what they are missing from the music, especially in the upper frequencies.
Put your hands behind your ears and then pull them outwards and you will hear more. This alone will be a big sound improvement. Never listen to your friend’s opinion as his ears are not the same as yours. And maybe he will not hear the sound improvement that you do. Very basic but true!
Information on Anti-static
If you have enjoyed ‘Sound improvements for your system’ please share – thank you